view from my airplane seat

Monday, August 17, 2009

New job, new boyfriend - new beginnings!

As every new immigrant to Israel sadly learns, the government subsidy only takes one so far... so like all the other olim chadashim in my ulpan class, I too now have a part-time job. I'm babysitting for an Israeli 9-yr-old girl in Tel Aviv every day from 1:30-6pm. Its the perfect schedule and I got really lucky with the pay (according to Israeli standards.) The girl is absolutely adorable (I'll refrain from mentioning her name for the sake of her privacy). but she is unlike any other child I've ever babysat! She brings her dishes to the dishwasher without being told and automatically helps clean up every day after we have lunch. She gets a 10-shekel a week allowance from her mom and saves it up diligently - whenever we go shopping she is constantly asking how much things cost, and calculates which things she wants the most and how long it will take her to buy them. last week, she spent 85 shekels - thats 8 1/2 weeks of saving - on a pair of earrings for her MOM. I was like, did she have a birthday or something? No, there was no special occasion, she just wanted her mom to have these pretty earrings. I was blown away!!! so ya, shes a great kid. she understands english but so far has refused to utter a word in english, so its actually very good for my hebrew. even though im tired after ulpan, i have no choice but to continue my day in Hebrew with her. we read books in hebrew and watch tv in hebrew and she is constantly teaching me new words. i actually find it very helpful to speak with a child because i'm not embarrassed to ask her every stupid little random question I've ever had about hebrew! :-) this girl is actually the only person I communicate with in my life who if I dont understand something, she literally cant translate it into English for me. everyone else eventually will translate so that I'll understand, but she simply cant. occasionally we've pulled out a dictionary (she was trying to describe a ferret and I had absolutely NO idea what she was talking about!) but most of the time, we get by in our own way. so between the ulpan, the new job, and the new Israeli boyfriend (yes thats right, very exciting!) my Hebrew is steadily improving day by day. it feels like i'm filling my brain with all these assorted puzzle pieces, that one day will hopefully all fit together. its almost like there are words buried in the sand and I'm digging through with my hands, brushing and wiping the sand off of them, so that suddenly things will become clear to me. but theres still a lot of effort that must be made... and things become clear slowly and yet suddenly at the same time.
God is being very good to me, and Israel too. I simply can't complain. Just trying to feel grateful for all the wonderful things in my life here, and continue on the journey. "L'at l'at" as they always say here. :-)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete