view from my airplane seat

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Good friends and street parties!

My dear friend Jen arrived on Friday for a visit. I took her and another friend on a tour of Neve Tzedek, one of my favorite quaint neighborhoods in southern Tel Aviv. We enjoyed traditional Israeli breakfast in the sunshine, gelato ice cream, and a stroll along the beach boardwalk. The best part of the day was stumbling accidentally into a street party - throngs of people dancing and drinking and chilling in the street to a DJ mixing techno and hip hop.
I like how people bring their children to dance among the 20-somethings, and senior citizens watch from adjoining benches. In general children are incorporated much more into society here than in America, from my point of view. They are welcome and accepted in almost every environment - street parties, restaurants, stores... you see young children and pregnant women and parents pushing strollers almost everywhere you look. And the young mothers still have fit bodies and stylish outfits! It's the model I like for my future family :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment