view from my airplane seat

Friday, May 15, 2009

Unforgettable encounter

A kind of unbelievable thing happened to me tonight.
The night started out with some friends at a live music show with a diverse hipster crowd (including a hilarious man in the back who kept shouting out the most random things -- like, "shnitzel in a pita!", "testicles no problem!", and "condoleeza!") so random, hilarious. then i went dancing with another friend at a typical tel aviv dance bar: israeli techno music, guys and girls dancing on the bartop, flashing lights and a slideshow of pictures of random israelis illuminated on the wall.
anyway i was having a great time, but all of a sudden, i felt like i should leave the bar. i was just suddenly ready to go. so i leave, by myself, and as i'm walking down the street a man comes up to me. he asks me, "do you write or create things?" im like "excuse me?" and he's like, "do you write, are you a writer?" and im like "yeah why?" and hes like "i'm not surprised. can i tell you the color of your aura?" and at this point, im like what the hell is going on. im a little bit drunk, alone at 1 in the morning, with this random guy asking me about the color of my aura. im skeptical to say the least. but, intrigued. so he goes on to tell me im a light blue, that i have a lot of passion for life but i hold things in my belly, which is why i need to create. im like, hold on a minute, do you just go up to random people telling them the color of their aura? and he's like, no, i can only pick up on the colors of people who are aware of themselves. which is not a lot of people, but you are. so then i thought to myself, what would his color be... and instinctively i think an orange-red color. so i ask him what his color is, and he says red. at that point, im like whoa. what is going on. we end up having this unbelievable conversation - he seems like a pretty regular guy, works in marketing, yada yada, but was telling me all these things about myself -- like how i just did this incredible thing, moving to israel, but i dont appreciate myself enough for what i did, im always thinking about the future and what i have to do next. and how its good i have a lot of passion for life and the future but that i need to balance that with staying in the present, knowing how to relax. he says i carry too much on my shoulders and thats why yoga is good for me. but i should not limit myself by saying what i can or cant do; life will put enough handcuffs on me without my needing to put more on myself. im like flipping out hearing him say all these things. it was too weird - but everything he said rang so true. his parting words to me were "dont forget yourself." hes right. he knew exactly what i needed to hear. and he expected nothing in return. he went his way and i went mine, but i'll never forget this encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment