view from my airplane seat

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yoni to the rescue

I learned many interesting things today. First, always bring an Israeli with you when you go to get a new cell phone. Second, "combina" is an extremely important word/concept. It basically means figuring out a way around something without being technically illegal. Almost like going in reverse all the way back down a one-way street. Technically you're not supposed to do it but it gets you where you want to be without actually breaking the law. So that's what my good friend Yoni helped me figure out today, finagling a unique phone plan for me that I can afford :-) at last!!!
I also learned at the bank this morning that every single transaction you do, whether a withdrawal, deposit - stepping foot in the bank essentially - costs money. You actually have to pay money to deposit more money into your account, even if it's in cash. Silly and stupid.
But, I also discovered something cool Israel has that America doesn't yet - "easy park." it's almost like a "fast lane" concept for parking. instead of paying meters on the street when you park, you have a credit card thing that you pre-pay and stick it in your window when you park. pretty cool.
after a day of shlepping and finagling, Yoni and I were ready to be pampered. we went to his parent's house in Ramat Aviv for a nice home-cooked meal. I adore his parents - his dad regaled me with stories about how he feeds the stray cats outside their apartment building. it's come to the point now when he pulls his car into the parking lot every day about 20 cats come out from all directions and hound his car, getting on top of it and inside it if they can. he puts the food out in many small portions so all the cats eat orderly together. sometimes he puts the food in a line, in a circle, different designs for his amusement. and they love him. he even had a contest with their 2 dogs and 2 lines of food to see which dog would finish faster. i saw pictures of it, hilarious.
Now Jen is back with me in Tel Aviv and I'm THRILLED. we are going to "yom studentim" (student day) tomorrow in Hadera which is about 30 minutes north of Tel Aviv. I'm so excited to see Ivri Leader, one of my favorite Israeli singers, who's going to perform there.
Yay for a successful day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment