view from my airplane seat

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Misrad HaKlita, Lag b'Omer, and Chrissie

On the heels of Jen's departure arrived Chrissie, my good friend Jessie's younger sister, who came for a day trip to Tel Aviv from Amman. It was wonderful to see her. She is studying Arabic full-time and exploring a new culture, not dissimilar from my current situation. We spent the afternoon on the beach, walking north along the boardwalk to the port, and ate dinner at Max Brenner (yes, that's right - I'm not ashamed to admit that I went back for round 2 of the thick Italian hot chocolate! I can't help myself, hehe). I had many questions for Chrissie about what it was like to be a young single American girl living in a religious Muslim environment. We spoke at length about modesty, dress, and women's rights. I learned new things, like if a girl is seen walking around outside with wet hair, it implies that she has just had sex, so girls who don't cover their hair have to blow dry it before going outside. Chrissie explained that the religious Muslim girls feel about their piety the way we Americans feel about our freedom. That is their primary value. I can respect it but I'm thankful that I was not born into that culture!
Last night marked the eve of Lag b'Omer, a holiday whose meaning I am still yet to fully grasp. I understand it in Israel as an excuse for mass bonfires. We drove past kikar hamedina, an enormous traffic circle, which must have had several dozen bonfires across it and thousands of children running wild. Today the air is still slightly tinted with the smell of smoke, it reminds me a little bit of camp.
Yesterday I also made my first visit to Misrad haKlita, the Ministry of Absorption. Everyone had warned me to be ready for a headache, but I found it rather organized and low-key actually. I met with my absorption counselor who signed me up for my "sal klita" payments - almost 16,000 shekels dispersed over the next 7 months. I also received a voucher for 550 hours of free ulpan (hebrew language immersion). she explained to me how I have to apply for an Israeli driver's license and an Israeli passport. ugh. later! I also obtained information about going for graduate school in Israel - if I decide to study in Hebrew it will be totally free. And my counselor STRONGLY urged me to do it in Hebrew (of course she would). but if I do a program in English, it's partly subsidized. I have 3 years to take advantage of this benefit and then it expires. hmm...
next item on the agenda - find an apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment